SUMMERSIDE, PEI – Summerside Area Baseball Association President, Tanner Doiron announced Wednesday evening at the SABA Annual General Meeting that he would be resigning from his position effective immediately.
Doiron was currently in the middle of his 3rd, 2-year term, coming off of six years on the Board of Directors, the past five of those as President.
The announcement comes after a recent career change and more time commitments for Doiron.
“It has been an honour to serve as a member of this Board for the past six years. I want to thank the entire association, including past and current board members, coaches, volunteers and of course the players for welcoming me in and allowing me to lead this organization all while having zero previous baseball playing experience. The relationships I was able to form through this position are invaluable and the experience I gained as a person and as a leader was something I consider an asset to my personal and professional life” said Doiron
During his time, Doiron acted as the Co-Chairman of the 13U “AAA” Nationals in 2018, Chairman of the 2019 18U “AA” Atlantics and 2021 16U Girls Atlantics and finally, was most recently, the Event Manager of last year’s 16U Girls National Championship.
Initiatives completed by the Board of Directors during his tenure included:
- The development of the SABA Tryout Selection Committee in hopes to lessen the politics.
- Renovation / Construction of a SABA Clubhouse, Proper storage space and upgrades to its Canteen.
- The updating / re-production of SABA’s Constitution with the leadership of Scott Gaudet.
- Major Partnership Deal with Township Chevrolet for 5 years which made for many of these initiatives to be possible, financial stability and brand new jerseys for the entire association.
- The rebranding and fresh new look of SABA’s logos which allowed for a new look on Team Apparel, Social Media Channels and its newly developed website.
- The purchase of all new equipment, speciality training equipment and practice supplies along with new branded bags for ALL SABA teams.
- The signing of an Official Development Partner to work with SABA’s coaches and players on development opportunities through Atlantic Baseball Academy.
- The navigation through a full season of COVID-19 operational nightmares.
- The hosting of countless provincials, eliminations, Atlantics AND grew our very own SABA Tournament Series with the leadership of Gary Barlow and now Darrel Kirev.
- The creation of the new SABA development zone area which includes a new batting cage and pitching cage.
- The renovation and creation of a comfortable clean space for SABA umpires who are an integral part of our game.
“I truly wish SABA and its new Board all the best. The accomplishments above WOULD NOT have been possible without the support and commitment of current and past Board of Directors. I look forward to continuing to act as an advisor when needed as Past President and strengthening the relationship between the association and the City, especially on event hosting initiatives through my new position”– Tanner Doiron, Past President, SABA
Following the announcement of Doiron’s departure, the new SABA Board of Directors has been struck and is as follows:
- President – Nick Hann
- Vice-President – Scott Gaudet
- Director of Administration – Vacant (to be announced)
- Director of Finance – Leslie Dunn
- Director of Programs – Nick Cameron
- Director of Tournaments – Darrel Kirev
- Director of Membership – Dave Dunn
- Director of Scheduling – Adam Connolly
- Director of Inventory & Purchasing – Kalib Snow
- Director of Ways & Means – Michael D’Agostino
Information around the 2023 Baseball season will be released in the coming months!
Summerside Area Baseball Association (SABA) is the governing body of minor baseball in Summerside, Prince Edward Island, and surrounding communities and has been growing the game since 1981. It is Baseball PEI’s most active association with 320 + players registered per season. SABA offers Baseball opportunities to children 4 years of age up to 22 years of age.